Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Servanthood

"Paul and Timothy, servants of Christ Jesus..." Philippians 1:1

That's as far as I got today in my Bible reading. I used to view my devotion time in the light of quantity. The Lord is revealing to me that what He wants is quality time. Hmmm, interesting. That's my love language!

Anyway, I've been following what Pastor Dean suggested a few weeks back. I read my Bible until something pulls at my heart. Then I stop and "Selah". Such a simple little method. But it's bringing a renewing of my mind and heart and spirit.

So, servanthood. I'm going to have to think about that today. What does being a servant of Christ Jesus entail?

"Slaves, obey your earthly masters with respect and fear, and with sincerity of heart, just as you would obey Christ. Obey them not only to win their favor when their eye is on you, but like slaves of Christ, doing the will of God from your heart." Ephesians 6:5, 6

Servanthood is a lifestyle. I find myself falling in and out of it. That's not treating it as a lifestyle. Partial obedience doesn't make the cut.

Being a servant of God has two distinguishable factors. The direct relationship with God Himself. And then the relationships He gives us with those around us. To be His servant, both factors must come into play.

These are the scattered thoughts running through my head. Mostly, I just need to dwell on this longer. All I know is I want to be a true servant of Jesus, honoring Him with respect and obedience.

Do any of you have thoughts on servanthood? Please share!

No comments:

Post a Comment