Wednesday, October 5, 2011

What's in a Name, Anyway?

The time has come for an explanation of my blog title. It just dawned on me that the whole world might not know the significance of "LottieB's Life"!
It all started so many moons ago. I was born Laura Elizabeth Rhodes. 8:00 PM Ozarkian time, July 26th, 1988. I was commonly known as Laura Elizabeth Rhodes, though many folks found it more convenient to simply holler "Laura!" when my presence was wanted. This name stuck fast for oh, 6 or 7 years.
About 5 years after my birth, a monumental, earth-shattering phenomenon took place. I got a baby brother. When he was first discovered, he didn't call me anything. Too shy, I guess. In fact, he seemed so bashful and confused that for a year or so he barely moved a muscle, let alone said a word. But soon enough he remembered how to talk and boy could he talk! He'd beam up at me with his big, brown eyes, big, bare belly and big, poofy diaper cover and chatter, "Da Da, Ma Ma, Doggie Doggie, Lottie!"
So then, amongst family the hollers began morphing from my given name into my new nickname. I liked it and felt only slightly embarrassed when outsiders got wind of it. Slightly proud, too.
This nickname was used by most family members, but my next older brother began putting his own twist on it. Rather than just plain, old, ordinary "Lottie", I became "Lottie B" to him. No real reason except it seemed to fit. He still calls me that to this day.
Then, a few years later (when I was 11, but that's another story), I met a certain Robert Douglas Barnett. I thought, "How cool! His last name starts with a 'b' and that would make my nickname my next older brother gave me make sense and my life would be complete!" So I up and married him. The end.
Oh, wait. The "Life" part of "LottieB's Life" hasn't been explained. Well, that all started at 8:00 PM Ozarkian time, July 26th, 1988. I think you get the point. The end.

3 comments:

  1. I could totally imagine Joseph looking up at you and saying that! I really enjoy your sense of humor, Laura. Great work writing this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. However, you did not marry Robert Douglas Barnett when you were 11 years old. I think that's an important point.

    ~Rach

    ReplyDelete
  3. I guees that wasn't the clearest, huh? And you would know!

    ReplyDelete