Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Tutoring

Once again, it's the end of the month. This means that I may have a chance at getting a student through HomeschoolFriend. HF is a Christian organization linking English-speaking tutors with South Korean children who wish to learn English. I've been trying for three months to start up tutoring again with HF. But their ratio of students to tutors is near even right now and the experienced tutors get first priority--which is only right!

When I tutored last fall, it was such a blast! The three boys I had were Thomas, Albert, and Jason. Thomas and I worked together the longest. He was very smart but also very shy. Towards the end of our time together he was finally able to laugh a little and be more adventurous.

Now this was NOT the problem with the other two. No, sir! Albert was a complete crack up! Basically, I couldn't get him to shut up! He was very fluent in English and talked a hundred miles an hour about video games and whatever randomly came into his head. I was continually laughing. The problem with him was actually accomplishing anything in class. :)

Now Jason was yet another kind of student. He was Albert's older brother. He had been placed in a class that he wasn't really ready for. So, it was a constant struggle for him. If I had taught him longer, I would have had him re-evaluated because it was hard on him to push through so much material he didn't know. But he was a talker, too--again, especially about video games! Since I've never played a video game in my life, I mostly just sat, listened, and hoped I laughed at the appropriate times!

Just writing these memories down reminds me how much I enjoyed the little bit of tutoring I did. There have been times in the last few months that I thought of just giving the idea up of ever getting on HF staff again. But I feel renewed excitement and I think I'll keep trying. Maybe one of these months I'll be able to start up again this work that I love!

No comments:

Post a Comment