Saturday, August 7, 2010

Okay, So I Won't Mind My Own Business!

I WAS minding my own business. Honest. I was browsing around in the library, actually getting ready to head on out. I had gone to the library to find something relaxing to read on a not-feeling-too-good kind of day.

As I headed toward the check-out counter, I noticed an older man seated at one of the computers. What caught my eye was his back; it was completely covered in a brace. Instantly, my heart rate sped up. On a side note, I've always found it interesting that we say we invite Jesus to live in our "hearts". Well, apparently that's one place He definitely does live because when He speaks, my heart goes crazy.

I continued walking for 10 or 15 feet, then jumped into a side row of books. A lengthy debate followed. Me vs. God. I knew that He wanted me to pray for the man. I knew it beyond a shadow of a doubt. But I was literally quaking inside. I scraped up several arguments: It's a man--I don't know if I should pray for a man by myself; there are other people around and I don't want to disturb them; couldn't I just pray for him without telling him?

I moved over to another aisle from which vantage point I could actually see him. As I wrestled some more, the people who were sitting at the desk across from him left. Oh, boy. One of my arguments was ruined.

Finally, I just forced myself forward before I had any more time to think.

"Excuse me, sir? I noticed that you seem to be having back trouble. Could I pray for you?"

He laughed bitterly. "Sure, you can join a whole list of people doing just that."

Not knowing what to do next, I asked, "Is there any way in particular that I could pray?"

Again he sniggered. "That a future employer would be able to look beyond the brace."

I inquired if he would let me pray for him then and there. He said something about we were told not to pray in public as it was seen as being prideful. But that he was sure that my prayers would be heard elsewhere. I told him that I very much believed that our prayers were always heard or something to that effect. By that time he was intently staring at his computer with a hint of a smirk left on his face.


Oh, Lord, You know the physcial and emotional pain this man has gone through and is experiencing even now. I pray that my concern was not interpreted as yet another person just feeling sorry for him. I do pray for his request--that Your grace would be evident to him as You provide for his needs of a job. But even more, I pray for his heart to be softened. His view of You must change. I pray for emotional healing from Your hands. And I pray for physical healing in his back. May he sense Your care for him, that You have not abandoned him. In Jesus' name, amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment