Saturday, August 13, 2011

Proverbial Wisdom

I discovered a statement of wisdom today in my devotion time. It struck home on a bad habit of mine.

He who answers before listening--that is his folly and his shame. Proverbs 18:13

Yep, I often find myself forming my response as someone speaks to me rather than focusing on what is being spoken. This happens especially when I feel tension or "know" I'm going to disagree.

I needed a reminder that listening is vital for relationship. And having the best response is no where near as important as weighing and valuing the other person's input. I know I feel frustrated when I'm not listened to. So, I'm going to make a concerted effort to improve my listening skills!


2 comments:

  1. Laura, this is right on. I want to listen better too. I want to love the person I'm talking too and go right past needing to be right.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, Ethan, that's really it, isn't it? Needing to be right...it's not all it's cracked up to be! I think this is an area that you are pretty strong in, though.

    ReplyDelete